Especially in winter time (whenever it’s cold basically), I love to start my day with yoga (obviously) and then a scrumptious, easy to prepare, filling & warm breakfast. This porridge recipe gives you enough energy until lunchtime !
Ingredients (I prefer organic)
- 2 cups non-dairy milk of choice (preferably unsweetened) or mix of water & non-dairy milk
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tsp chia seeds or ground flax seeds (omega 3)
- A handful of raisins (low G-I sweetener) or chopped dates
- Half an apple or banana
- 1 tbsp sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp mesquite or maca powder (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut butter or nut butter
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut (optional)
- Put oats in a pan with the non-dairy milk and raisins.
- Once it boils, then let it simmer for a few minutes on a low fire/ heat until the oats soften.
- Add more milk or boiling water if your porridge is too thick.
- Add the spices, powder, and coconut or nut butter.
- Add the porridge to a bowl, top with coconut flakes.
You can vary with the fruits & dried fruits depending on what’s in season & what you have at home (i.e. replace the raisins with goji berries, dried dates, apricots or cranberries).
These quantities are enough for a few servings depending on your appetite.
Om shanti -ॐ शान्ति