This is a very simple, yummy and filling recipe for a delicious brunch with scrambled tofu instead of scrambled eggs.
- Firm tofu (about 250 g)
- Turmeric powder
- Nutritional yeast flakes
- Shoyu or Tamari sauce
- Cayenne pepper
- Himalaya or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Coconut oil (or olive oil)
- Optional: cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and/ or pesto
- Press the excess water out of the tofu (by pressing the tofu above the sink with both hands or by putting it between 2 plates and adding weight – like a heavy cookbook – on the top plate).
- Crumble the tofu using a fork or other kitchen utensil.
- Add turmeric, the soya sauce of your choice, a pinch of Cayenne pepper and sprinkle with the nutritional yeast and black pepper. Mix everything until the all the spices and seasoning are well blended together.
- Leave the mixture for about 20 minutes to allow the tofu to soak up the flavours.
- Heat up the (coconut) oil in a skillet and fry up the crumbled tofu until it turns a bit brown (or however you like it).
Tip: the nutritional yeast gives the scrambled tofu a nice nutty flavour. You can vary the amount of spices and soya sauce according to your own preference, just experiment until you are happy with the tastes.