Years ago when I discovered humus I was so happy ! I was even happier when I started making my own humus and its variations. It is a very nutritious and healthy snack that’s so easy to make yourself, and cheap as well.
Ingredients (all organic)
- 2 small raw beets
- About 200 g cooked chickpeas*
- 1-2 tbsp sunflower paste
- Sesame oil
- Himalaya salt
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Filtered water
- Peel the beets (to have a less earthy taste) and cut them in 4 pieces.
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse.
- Put the beets in your blender/ food processor and turn it on, let it run until the beetroots are finely chopped.
- Add the sunflower paste and cumin powder and turn on the blender for 1 minute.
- Add the chickpeas and let it run for at least 1 minute or until nice and smoothly mixed. You can add some more chickpeas if you want a thicker paste.
- Add some sesame oil and water for texture, blend it in.
- Add salt at the end to your liking. Save it in a jar in your fridge, it’ll keep for a couple of days.
This spread is fantastic on toast but also with a salad, with grilled potatoes, in a wrap, …
- Discover the health benefits of beets: promote optimal health, antioxidant benefits, anti-inflammatory benefits, support of detoxification, …
- Discover the health benefits of chickpeas: digestive tract support,unique supply of antioxidants, decrease cardiovascular risks, better regulation of blood sugar.
- Discover the health benefits of sunflower seeds: anti-Inflammatory and Cardiovascular Benefits from Sunflower Seeds’ Vitamin E, sunflower Seeds’ Phytosterols Lower Cholesterol, calm Your Nerves, Muscles and Blood Vessels with Sunflower Seeds’ Magnesium, improved Detoxification and Cancer Prevention from Sunflower Seeds’ Selenium.
* Discover this great blogpost by my friend & yogini Katariina on how to cook and store chickpeas.