Some say lentils are the world’s healthiest food! They are an excellent source of folate, as well as a very good source of dietary fiber, copper, phosphorus and manganese. Additionally they are a good source of iron, protein, vitamin B1, pantothenic acid, zinc, potassium and vitamin B6. In short, lentils should be considered a super food! And they are cheap, even if you buy organic. I buy my lentils and beans in bulk, dry, as that’s the cheapest, and without any unnecessary packaging. Some people have trouble digesting lentils, then try adding some savory while cooking your lentils or beans. If you are looking for a quick and filling meal, make a lentil with roasted veggies combo.
Ingredients (about 4 servings)
- 1,5 cup of brown lentils, 300g (or green or Du Puy, or Beluga, ..)
- 800g (or more) different vegetables to roast (carrots, sweet potato, red beet, turnip, zucchini, onion, …)
- Greens (lettuce, purslane, rocket, …)
- Fresh herbs (basil, parsley, coriander, …)
- Capers (optional)
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 tsp pomegranate molasses (optional)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp savory
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Rinse the lentils.
- Put the lentils in a cooking pot with plenty of cold water, bring to boil and let simmer for about 20 minutes, or until perfectly cooked (taste). Add some savory if you have trouble digesting lentils.
Don’t add salt while cooking (this prolongs the cooking time).
- Wash (scrub) the veggies, peel if necessary. Cut in same size chunks (not too small, not too big).
- Prepare a large bowl with some olive oil, salt & pepper and mix all the veggies in there until they’re evenly coated.
- Spread the veggies on greaseproof paper covering a large oven grid and roast for about 30 minutes (turn them after about 15 minutes), or until nicely roasted but with still crispy bite.
- Make the dressing: mix some tablespoons olive oil with mustard, lemon juice, some black pepper and Cayenne pepper (optional: add the pomegranate molasses).
- Rinse the lentils with cold water in a sieve when perfectly cooked.
- Put in a large bowl, add the roasted veggies and then the dressing. Mix well.
- Add the capers.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
This salad is delicious warm, lukewarm & cold. Enjoy!
TIP: you can add some lettuce, purslane or rocket as well as fresh herbs (parsley, coriander, basil, …).
Sources: WH Food, Healthalicousness, Lentils.org
You must be logged in to post a comment.