My yogini friend once gave me all these water kefir grains. And initially I’d make kefir regularly. But then I moved house, the kefir grains moved with me, and just hadn’t gotten around to it. Until last Friday. It’s been so hot and drinking kefir was just what I needed. So I thoroughly cleaned a glass bottle (but you can also use glass jars, mason jars for example) and got to work. Again I was surprised at how easy & fast it is too make !
- Filtered water
- A few organic lemon slices
- 3 tbsp of (brown) sugar
- 3 tbsp kefir grains
- A few dried raisins (sub with dried apricot or fig)
- Optional: add a few slices of ginger
- Drain the cultures from the kefir and rinse in tap water. Set the cultures aside.
- Mix the sugar with a bit of hot water in the bottle or jar you’ll use until dissolved.
- Fill the bottle (jar) with the filtered water (not all the way to the rim).
- Add the lemon slices, raisins & kefir grains, stir with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the bottle (jar) with a cheese cloth and set aside (not in the fridge). Leave on the counter in a not-sunny place for as long as you want.
- After a few days you should see some bubbles coming from the cultures and at the top of the water. Three days seemed to create a good amount of fizz. You can drink this Kefir as is, or do a secondary fermentation for more flavour and more bubbles.
Om shanti -ॐ शान्ति
You must be logged in to post a comment.