This is a fabulous recipe if you have lots of chickpeas because you basically need the aquafaba to make chocolate mousse… Angela Liddon from Oh She Glows has delicious and relatively easy recipes and I used this recipe from her cookbook and then tweaked it. The salad is wonderful on toast, but also with raw vegetables as an aperitif.
I used kala namak (black salt or Indian volcanic rock salt) which give the salad its distinct egg smell and taste. It’s really crazy how it resembles egg salad without the cruelty. Use just a little bit as it can quickly be overpowering.
- 1 jar of of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (save the liquid aka aquafaba in the jar)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pickles
- 3 tbsp store-bought or homemade veganaise
- 2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp turmeric curry powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp of chili flakes
- 1 1/2 to 3 tsp fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1/4 tsp kala namak or sea salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher until flaked in texture.
- Stir in the green onions, pickles, fresh herbs, mayonnaise, and spices until combined.
- Season with the lemon juice, salt, nutritional yeast and pepper, adjusting the quantities to taste.
Om shanti -ॐ शान्ति