On a night when I didn’t have many fresh vegetables left, I took whatever I found in my fridge, freezer and pantry to whip up this yummy dinner. It was nutritious and filling. You can substitute the vegan chick’pieces by tofu or tempeh, but make sure to marinate it at least 30 minutes before using it (as to soak up the flavour of your sauce).
Ingredients (2-3 persons)
- 1 cup of quinoa (I used different colors)
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cm of fresh ginger root
- 200 g frozen green peas
- 1 medium-sized leek
- 200 ml soy cream
- 1 package (160g) of ‘chick’ pieces (vegan chicken breast – I use “Greenway”) or tofu
- turmeric, salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- coconut oil
- Rinse the quinoa, set aside.
- Peel and cut the ginger root in small pieces.
- Cut the leek (rings) and wash (sieve).
- Boil 2 cups of water (for the quinoa).
- Fry the ginger for 1 minute, add the rinsed quinoa and stir fry for another minute. Add 1 tsp of turmeric, a pinch of salt, stir.
- Add 2 cups of boiling water and let it simmer for about 15 minutes until the quinoa is perfectly dry cooked.
- In the meantime cut the vegan ‘chick’pieces in smaller strips, add the tamari in the package and stir to evenly coat all the pieces.
- Heat up some coconut oil in a frying pan or wok and add the ‘chick’pieces, stir fry for a few minutes until golden.
- Add the leek and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add the soy cream.
- Stir in the frozen green peas, leave it to simmer for a couple of minutes until the peas are cooked.
- Add nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the quinoa and add the sauce on top.