Hachis Parmentier* is a typical French cuisine dish, that I’ve never tasted in it’s original form (with meat). I discovered it while working on a project for the vegan/ vegetarian organisation EVA vzw in Belgium. It’s a perfect recipe for winter evenings, very comforting food actually. By the way, it’s great for kids! And as often with oven meals, it’s even better when you reheat it (in the oven) the day after.
- 800 g potatoes
- 300 g lentils (brown or yellow (blond))
- Vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 small (red) onions
- 250 g mushrooms
- Optional: 2 x leek
- 250 ml soy cream
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp savory (in French: sarriette; in Dutch: bonenkruid)
- 1 tsp thyme
- Tamari or soy sauce
- Olive oil
- A pinch of chili flakes
- Salt & pepper
- A small piece of black chocolate
- Optional: 1 handful ground walnuts, or other nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (gas oven: 5).
- Peel and wash the potatoes and cut in quarters. Boil for about 15 minutes with a pinch of salt (until tender), drain and set aside.
- Rinse the lentils thoroughly and boil in a pot with at least double the amount of vegetable stock and the savory for about 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Then rinse directly with cold water and set aside.
- Cut and wash the onions, garlic and leek.
- Trim and clean (with paper towels) the mushrooms.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher and mix with olive oil and soy cream until you have a nice cream texture, add a few pinches of ground nutmeg. Set aside.
- Heat some olive or coconut oil in a skillet; fry the onions until golden; add the mushrooms, stir fry for a few minutes; add garlic and lentils, stir fry for a few minutes; add tomato paste, chocolate, thyme, tamari/ soy sauce & chill flakes and crushed nuts (optional). Mix everything, turn of the heat and set aside.
- Optional: stir fry the leek for a few minutes, add the remainder of the soy cream, season lightly with some salt & pepper. Turn of the heat and set aside.
- Take a large oven dish; add a thin layer of mashed potatoes; all the lentils; the leek & cream mixture (optional); end with a thick layer of mashed potatoes; spread evenly.
- Optional: add some vegan cheese on top if you like (this version had some mozzarisella).
- Put the oven dish for about 20 minutes in the oven.
- Serve with some seasonable vegetables or salad, in my photo version I stir fried some endives until lightly roasted and then added a tbsp of sugar and a dash of balsamic vinegar.
*Inspired by @evavzw & @picnikcatering
Om shanti -ॐ शान्ति
You must be logged in to post a comment.