This is an easy and quick recipe for either lunch or dinner.
The tofu is seasoned and crispy, the noodles cooked al dente, the miso gives the soup an umami flavour and the roasted sesame seeds add a crispy & nutty taste.
Main ingredients (4 servings)
- Noodles of your choice (I used gluten free brown rice/ pumpkin & ginger noodles) for 4 people (about 250g)
- 1 pack of firm tofu (250g)
- 2 to 3 carrots, sliced julienne style
- 1 large leek or 2 small leeks, sliced
- 1 large chunk of ginger
- A handful of sesame seeds
- Optional: some leafy greens such a bok choy or fresh (baby) spinach, washed and shredded.
- Vegetable stock powder
- 3 tbsp black bean & garlic sauce (from a Chinese or oriental store)
- 5 tbsp of olive or coconut (or other neutral vegetable) oil
- 4 tbsp tamari or shoyu sauce
- 4 tbsp miso paste (rice, soy or another type)
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp of chili flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: salt to taste (it’s already salty due to stock powder, miso & soy sauce)
- Optional: 2 tbsp no fish sauce (vegan shop or Jumbo in The Netherlands)
- Optional: 1 tsp sambal (very spicy sauce) or sriracha
- Lightly press the tofu with both hands (careful not to break it) to drain the water from the tofu (use your hands or this method) & cut in cubes (of about 1-2 cm each).
- Prepare the marinade for the tofu: mix the black bean and garlic sauce, tamari, no fish sauce, sambal/ sriracha & spices together and stir in the tofu cubes. Set aside.
- Wash the veggies and cut the carrots in julienne strips; peel the ginger and slice thinly; cut the leek in slices.
- In a frying pan, heat some oil, add the tofu cubes and fry for about 5 minutes on all sides until crispy. Turn heat off.
- Heat a small frying pan, add the sesame seeds and roast until crispy, not black. Turn heat off.
- Bring about 1l water to boil, add the vegetable stock powder (see packaging for directions, put half of suggested quantity), as well as the veggies and the noodles bring to boil and let simmer for about 4 minutes (depending on the instructions on the noodle package)*.
- Serve: add a tablespoon of miso paste to 4 bowls; take a few spoons of the hot stock from the soup and add to each bowl to mix with the miso paste. Once the noodles are al dente, add the noodles with vegetables and stock. Top with tofu & toasted sesame seeds. Add soy sauce to your liking.
- Optional: add some shredded leafy greens to the bowl and let it wilt for a minute or so (no need to boil).
- *Tip: cook the noodles in a separate pot, drain & rinse with cold water to ensure they’re al dente and especially if you won’t eat all the soup in one go.
Om shanti -ॐ शान्ति