I love risotto, but only the ones I make myself (or those made by my Italian friend, chef & fellow yogini Lucia). Tonight I was inspired by this recipe, which I tweaked a bit.
I added some cherry tomatoes & 2 garlic cloves (with their skin), pepper & salt in the oven, as well as 2 of the big mushrooms, sliced, tossed with pepper, salt & olive oil. I put the vegetables in 2 different oven dishes for about 20-25 minutes at 190 degrees.
- 1,5 cups of arborio rice, rinsed
- 5 cups of vegan stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 5 to 6 big mushrooms (about 500g)
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- Unsweetened soy cream
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine (optional)
- Prepare the 5 cups vegetable stock/ broth and set aside.
- Rinse the rice and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a pot, add the onion and sauté on medium high for a couple of minutes.
- Then add in the sliced mushrooms, stir fry for a couple of minutes until the mushrooms are golden.
- Add the garlic and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add the rice and sauté for a minute or so.
- Add the white wine and allow to be absorbed.
- Add 3 cups of vegetable stock/broth, stir well and simmer until the broth is mostly absorbed.
- Then add 1 cup vegetable stock/broth, stir well again and cover and simmer until the broth is mostly absorbed.
- Then add the last 1 cup of vegetable stock/broth, stir well again and simmer for a final few minutes.
- Once all the stock/broth has been mostly absorbed by the rice, add a few tablespoons of soy cream and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the 2 Tbsp of vegan butter.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with some nutritional yeast.
- Serve with the roasted cherry tomatoes and mushrooms.
Om shanti -ॐ शान्ति